Church of S. Giovanni Battista

The complex of S. Giovanni, the patron saint of Angri, is the major religious building in the town. It was probably founded in 1302 by Romano Orsini, Count of Nola. Its Renaissance fašade is one of the most important architectonic monuments in the Sarno valley. The structure in tuff ashlar with an elaborate central rose window probably dates from the turn of the 15th century, while the marble entrances with their marked Neoclassical features are slightly later, around 1540. The spacious interior with triple nave dates from restructuring in the 18th century. On the high altar there is an important early 16th century poliptych attributed to Simone da Firenze and a medieval wooden statue of John the Baptist. There are also altars in  marble, wooden choirstalls and pictures from the 17th and 18th centuries. The complex, seriously damaged by the 1980 earthquake, includes a large chapel adjacent to the left transept, property of the confraternity of S. Margherita, built on an oval groundplan from 1753 onwards.

Period

15th century

Location

San Giovanni Place

INDEX

Angri's Tour

zoom   zoom  zoom   zoom  zoom   zoom