Castle and Doria Palace

The castle goes back to medieval times. It was built as a stronghold overlooking the medieval centre of Angri to defend the townspeople and control the roads linking Nocera with Stabia and Sorrento and the valley with the coast. It was besieged on several occasions during the Aragon period (in 1421 under the leadership of Forte Braccio da Montone). The large fortified tower presiding over the righthand part of the complex dates from this period, conserving the original moat and surrounded by substantial outworks of two storeys protecting the body of the tower, the only surviving feature of the original stronghold, where it seems Charles V stayed in 1535 as the guest of the proprietor, Alfonso d’Avalos. Following the installation of the Doria family as feudal overlords the complex was radically restored during the 18th century by the architect Francesconi: the manor was turned into a palace of the nobility by adorning the main tower with battlements and incorporating the lesser towers into a spacious building on three storeys: an airy open staircase linked the tower to the palace. This was recently restored, and since 1910 has been the premises of the town hall. The work done at the end of the 18th century also involved the layout of the gardens (now Villa Comunale) in front of the palace, featuring large, well-stocked flowerbeds with fine old trees. The monumental entrance is embellished with Neoclassical motifs, and in the centre there is an artificial mound harbouring a grotto.


15th - 18th century


Doria Place


Angri's Tour 

zoom zoom zoom zoom