Church and monastery of Materdomini

This extensive monastery stands on a hill above the road leaidng from Nocera Superiore to Cava de’ Tirreni and Roccapiemonte. It was founded in medieval times, probably as early as the middle of the 11th century (the first church was consecrated in 1061 by Pope Niccolò II). The bell tower still conserves the Romanesque decoration featuring a row of arches in the bell chamber. After the Middle Ages the cult and the complex (which already included a hospital) were repristinated by monks of the Basilian order in 1631. They embellished the church with works of art and erected a marble tempietto which still today contains the miraculous image, an icon in the Byzantine style dating from the 13th century. During the 19th century the Basilians were replaced by Franciscans (still in residence). Almost totally destroyed during  the last war, the church was rebuilt in 1947. Inside there is an altarpiece in the chapel  of the Congrega del SS. Sacramento by Francesco Guarino dating from 1645. The large monastery, used for many years as an asylum, now houses offices of the local health service. You enter through the original 16th century gateway, built of tuff in the Neoclassical style. The miraculous painting of the Madonna is celebrated on 1st May and 15th August, the Feast of the Assumption, when pilgrims make their way here from all over the region.

Period

12th century

Location

Materdomini

 INDEX

Nocera Superiore's Tour

ns0301.jpg (53027 byte) zoom zoom zoom