Church of S. Maria delle Grazie

This site, beneath Monte Gatto (bordering on the territory of Sarno) was outside the settlement in 1309; it was probably the site of the original parish church and was known as Badia; as the settlement moved down into the plain this title was lost, passing to the more central church of S. Sebastiano officially after 1840 but in practice before the end of the 1700s. The building we see today, radically restored in 1905 after centuries of neglect, had to be demolished and rebuilt in its present form in the 1960s. Its oldest relic is a bell dated 1372 and a 17th century holy water stoup.

Period

20th century

Location

S. Maria delle Grazie way

INDEX

Siano's Tour