San Quirico's Fort

Roccapiemonte owes its name to the fortified complex on the top of Monte Solano, beneath which three hamlets grew up from medieval times and subsequently joined to form the village. In a commanding position on the pyramid-like hilltop dominating traffic and men coming and going between Nocera, Cava and Mercato Sanseverino, all that now remains of the stronghold are traces of the triple outer walls. It probably dates back to Longobard times and was fortified by the Prince of Salerno, Guaimario, in 1042. It took the name of S. Quirico from a church nearby and was still in use in the Angevin period. The Count of Sarno Coppola may have stayed here during the Barons’ Plot of 1486. It seems that the Ravaschieri, the feudal lords, restored the manorhouse in the 17th century. The scant remains of the structure, with notable potential in terms of both a monument and a local beauty spot, await restoration enabling them to become a public asset.

Period

11th century

Location

Mount Solano

INDEX

Roccapiemonte's Tour

zoom