Church and Monastery of S. Francesco

The headquarters of the Franciscans in Sarno, dedicated originally to S. Maria degli Angeli, goes back to the end of the 13th century, although nothing remains of this phase. The current church, jointly administered by the friars and the municipality, has undergone various restructurings over the centuries and its present appearance dates from the 18th and 19th centuries. It has a single nave with transept and dome clad in majolica tiles, a deep apse and numerous altars belonging to the leading families in the town. The Abignente chapel has its own dome and was the seat of the confraternity of the Immacolata. It contains a large painting of the Madonna, a late 16th century work by the Neapolitan Fabrizio Santafede, and a monument to Mariano Abignente (1675). The monastery, now mostly incorporated into the town hall, conserves its cloisters with rough-hewn pillars and lancet arches with traces of frescoes narrating the life of S. Francesco, dating from the 1600s, as well as grave stones.

Period

13th-14th century

Location

IV November Place

INDEX

Sarno's Tour

zoom  zoom  zoom  zoom  zoom  zoom