Medieval village

The extra-urban characteristics of the Borgo ‘de foris’ required a hospice providing shelter for wayfarers, with an adjacent church of S. Andrea. This complex was donated in 1381 by the Sirica family to the community of Borgo (now municipally owned, headquarters of the local steering committee). The small church, recently restored, has an unmistakably Neo-classic façade with gable and parastades in stucco. Inside, the single nave, now quite plain, has remains of the 19th century majolica floor. Thanks to recent excavations it is possible to see the original 14th century structure, lying below the current groundlevel: a square hall with high extrados vaults and pointed arches in the walls, with remains of medieval and subsequent frescoes still to be recuperated.

Period

14th century

Location

Abignente Way

INDEX

Sarno's Tour

zoom