Bucky Mills

Filippo Buchy, a Swiss national who learnt his trade in Piedimonte d’Alife at the Egg Mills, moved to Sarno and set up one of the main mills in the town. The large complex we see today dates from the turn of the 20th century. The residence (currently being restored) gives onto corso Vittorio Emanuele and was designed by the architect Antonio Curri, who in Sarno also designed the façade of the Municipio. Both the front and rear façades, with a neo-Renaissance loggia, are evidence of the eclectic style, which also inspired a columned canopy (now in ruins) giving access to the garden; the interior, with rich stucco work and flooring with Vietri majolica and polychrome marble, contains numerous works by contemporary Neapolitan artists (in the main hall the mosaic of the Weaver from 1901). The factory itself, now housing schools, supermarkets and small craft industries, stretches right along via Roma (although in this electric age there is no need to derive power from water, so the vertical dimension is no longer a consideration). There is still evidence of Curri’s creation in the mullion windows and neo-Renaissance ashlar finish, as well as the lancet and segmental windows.

Period

19th-20th century

Location

V. Emanuele Way - Roma Way

INDEX

Sarno's Tour

zoom zoom