Abbey of S. Maria Maddalena in Armillis

The church we see today is all that remains of an important Benedectine abbey, originally dedicated to S. Maria Maddalena in Armillis or S. Egidio and donated in 1113 to a monastery of Ravello. The building dates back to the first half of the 16th century, when the church was rebuilt. Features from that period include the Neoclassical gateway surrounded by frescoes, historically important but badly deteriorated, depicting stories of S. Nicola, and the fine polyptich on the high altar attributed to the Calabrese manierist Pietro Negroni. Subsequent  restoration work dates back to the 18th century (the building was badly damaged during the 1980 earthquake). The façade is dominated by the pointed bell tower. Inside there are marble altars, wooden choirstalls from the 17th century and fine paintings from the 17th and 18th centuries. In the sacristy you can see the remains of a fresco, depicting a saint’s head, probably dating from the 14th century, and a picture of the Madonna and saints from the early 16th century. In the corridor at the foot of the bell tower two 14th century frescoes depict the Maddalena and Crucifixion. A series of underground structures near the façade, used in part for burials and decorated with frescoes that are now indecipherable, have been identified as part of a Roman villa; the basin featuring river gods standing to the left of the church is also Roman in origin.

Period

11th century

Location

Ferrajoli Place

INDEX

Sant'Egidio del Monte Albino's Tour

zoom zoom zoom out 

zoom out zoom out zoom out zoom out